Monday, 1 March 2010

The revolution starts here!

Solar panels have arrived! Yes yes yes. The future starts here. This is the single greatest step in the revolution - ever!

Okay, so that is not really true, but that is a little bit how it feels. I am now the proud owner of a beautiful new photovoltaic array on the roof of my house. It is a small system, but it should produce around 900 kWh a year, enough for about 65% of our electricity. The panels were assembled locally, so green jobs for everyone... and they will earn me about £420 a year. Not only that, but I am filled with a warm and wholly inaccurate sense of self sufficiency. That is worth £3900 any day.

Here are a couple of photos taken from the scaffolding leading up to the roof. Actually, I am thinking of keeping the scaffolding as the view from the top is amazing. We were up having a beer, and London is looking particularly beautiful at the moment.

So far the only downside is the cat, who has been most affronted by all the builders and electricians. Still I explained that this would probably offset her carbon emissions for the next couple of years and she is coming round.

Anyway, the final commissioning should take place in the next few days, and then I can reclaim my grants from the council and government. Thanks Camden. Once the electricity starts flowing I will be sure to report on the performance of the Sharp Solar system.








2 comments:

  1. Congrats! I'm jealous...can't wait until I'm able to go solar...probably a couple years off still.

    disdaniel

    ReplyDelete