Wednesday, 18 August 2010

Climate Camp comes to RBS

Well, I see that Climate Camp has just taken a site in Edinburgh, in the grounds of the Royal Bank of Scotland. I can't be there this year, which is unfortunate, as I love Edinburgh and it is very much my home. Still, I wish them all the best. The bank is a good target, highlighting the links between City finance, climate change, environmental destruction and the bail out..

I have used this blog to comment on the strengths and weaknesses of Climate Camp as a protest movement before, but when it comes down to it, I think it is doing and important job. As the CC video says - 'every movement needs a frontline.'

I do sense however that they may struggle to get the same level of attention this year, partly because the level of hype and hysteria in 2008 and 2009 will be hard to match (Kingsnorth, Bishopsgate, police brutality, death of Ian Tomlinson etc)., partly because being outside London probably restricts the number of media who will get of their backsides to cover it... and partly because the recession and coalition government have changed the political context slightly... still here's hoping for a new round of public activism.

Good luck everyone - stay safe, and look after Edinburgh..

No comments:

Post a Comment